Visits and Bookings
To gain the maximum benefit from your visit to the Gallery we suggest that educators visit the Gallery in advance and view the relevant exhibition or discuss the works with the Gallery Educator.
An entry fee of $5 per student will apply to school groups wishing to visit Geelong Gallery and experience a tour led by the Gallery Educator. Self-directed school groups may visit the Gallery free-of-charge.
Bookings are essential for all Learn programs and group visits.
Getting to the Gallery
The Geelong Gallery is located in Johnstone Park. The entrance is in Little Malop Street, in Geelong’s arts precinct.
Travelling by train—a three minute walk through Johnstone Park to the Gallery.
Travelling by bus—Arrangements for bus parking can be made with your Gallery booking.
Create a day to remember
Welcome to Geelong Gallery Learn, the Gallery invites pre-school, primary and tertiary students to visit and be taken on a journey of discovery through pictures, places, people and stories. Offering a combination of contemporary and traditional models of learning, students will be given a hands-on opportunity to learn about the visual arts and be instantly engaged in an exciting and diverse environment brimming with original works of art. A program specifically designed to inspire wonder, curiosity and delight in the visual arts world.
Whether you are looking to run a self-guided tour or have one created for you led by the Gallery Educator, the Geelong Gallery offers an inspiring experience for your students to enjoy.
Open your students' eyes to art, history and culture
Open your students' eyes to art, history and culture with the Geelong Gallery Learn Program. Tailor your visit to the needs and curriculum of your students with the following options available:
- General Tour: An introduction to the Gallery
- Make your own: Programs and tours to suit your curricula priorities
- Meet the experts: Floor talks by artists and curators participating in our extensive exhibition program
- Make and Create: Participate in hands on activities - creating, making and responding to art with a specific focus
- Asia & Australia: Comprehensive presentations on Australia’s art culture and its engagement with Asia
- Sneak Peek: Free educator exhibition previews
- Learn and Grow: An extensive range of professional learning programs for educators and students alike
- Art without borders and Early Years—through the keyhole : Free loan Learning boxes for your classrooms and learning spaces
To discuss your individual requirements please contact Gail Frost, Gallery Educator via the below:
phone: +61 03 5229 3645
Making the most of your visit
The Geelong Gallery Learn offers a range of tours, talks, lectures and activities covering a range of themes across the curriculum relating to the Gallery’s permanent collections and temporary exhibitions. These can be tailor made to cater for your school’s curriculum needs and student learning levels. To gain the maximum benefit from your visit to the Gallery we suggest that educators visit the Gallery in advance and view the relevant exhibition or discuss the works with the Gallery Educator.
We ask that students (and other group visitors) observe the following guidelines in order to preserve our collection.
- Prior to your visit, educators/supervisors to brief students on appropriate behaviour in the Gallery (eg walking in the Gallery, listening to instructions and not touching the works of art)
- Students should take care entering and leaving the building from and to the bus
- Students to check all bags, backpacks, coats etc in the cloakroom immediately on arrival and make their way to the Gallery foyer
- Food and drinks are not allowed inside the Gallery
- Please consider other visitors
- Educators to accompany their group at all times during their visit
- Camp stools and clipboards are available for student use
- Only pencils are to be used in the Gallery
Important pre-visit documentation