2016 Geelong contemporary art prizeSponsored by
The 2016 Geelong contemporary art prize is a signature event that assists with the development of the Gallery’s collection while fostering Australian artists and contemporary painting practice in general.
Entries close Friday 23 March (5.00 pm)
Notification of selection
From Monday 30 April
Selected entries to be delivered to the Gallery
From Monday 21 to Friday 25 May
(between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm)
Friday 8 June
Saturday 9 June to Sunday 19 August
Collection of non-acquired works
From Tuesday 21 to Thursday 23 August
(between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm)
Conditions of entry
- The 2018 Geelong contemporary art prize (the prize) carries an award of $30,000. It is an acquisitive prize for Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australian painting, open to artists living and working in Australia, conducted by Geelong Gallery Inc. (the Gallery) and sponsored by the Dimmick Charitable Trust. Each entrant may submit up to two works (per artist).
Using the online entry form on the Gallery website, entrants must submit a completed entry form including payment of $40 (incl. GST) per entry and attach a digital image of each painting to be eligible for entry in the prize. Upon lodgement, acknowledgement of entry and receipt of payment will be sent to entrants via an automated email.
Upload digital image – one image per work will be accepted. Digital image to be supplied as JPEG file, A4 in size, 300dpi, less than 2MB where possible. Images should be saved with the following details as the file name: artist's surname_artist's firstname_title. jpeg. Entrants are advised to submit high quality images as those supplied at time of entry will be used by the Gallery for judging, publication and promotion (should the work be selected for exhibition).
Discs, photographs, photocopied reproductions, emailed images or any other representation of work will not be accepted.
An entry must be an original work of the entrant and must have been executed in the two years prior to 23 March 2018 (the closing date).
An entry must be:
(a) a painting of dimensions not exceeding (h) 183.0 cm x (w) 244.0 cm (including frame). Multiple panels may be accepted where these constitute a single entry and do not exceed the specified dimensions in total;
(b) in the possession of the artist or dealer/agent and available for acquisition by the Gallery.
- A correctly completed entry form accepting these conditions, payment and attached images must be lodged on the Gallery’s website by the closing date: Friday 23 March 2018 (5.00 pm). Entries lodged after the closing date will not be processed.
Payment may be made by supplying credit card details and authorising payment on the online entry form. The entry fee is non-refundable.
The Gallery shall appoint the judging panel that will, in the first instance, view all entries (digital images) that comply with the conditions of entry and select a limited number of works for inclusion in the exhibition (the selected painting). The judging panel reserves the right to exhibit, or not exhibit, any work entered.
- Each entrant whose painting is selected for inclusion in the exhibition will be notified by email and will be required to deliver the selected painting to the Gallery from Monday 21 to Friday 25 May between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm. It is the responsibility of the entrant or dealer/agent to arrange all aspects relating to the delivery of the work (whether personally or by an art courier). All associated costs are the responsibility of the entrant or dealer/agent. Please note that substitutes for works first entered by the closing date will not be accepted. Unsuccessful entrants will be notified by email.
The selected painting must be:
(a) available for display throughout the duration of the exhibition;
(b) professionally presented and ready for installation. It should be suitably prepared for hanging and D-rings must be attached to the back of the frame (or stretchers if unframed) on the left and right vertical edges to enable safe hanging from two points. Wires must not be attached. If, for any reason, the hanging system is unsuitable, under the conditions of entry, the entrant gives permission to the Gallery to attach a hanging system (D-rings) to the selected painting (or modify existing) for the duration of the exhibition;
(c) securely packaged to ensure safe transport to and from the Gallery. The packaging must be clearly labelled (with the entrant’s name, title and date of the painting) and suitable for the Gallery to re-use for the return of the selected painting.The Gallery reserves the right to exclude works that do not meet the required standard for display.
- The selected painting will not be received at the Gallery unless free of charge to the Gallery. No payment will be made by the Gallery for freight or any other charge incurred in the delivery and/or return of the selected painting.
Best practice in the handling and care of works will be implemented at all times by Gallery staff, however, the Gallery will not be responsible for any loss or damage suffered to any painting in its possession or under its control. Each entrant shall indemnify the Gallery against any loss or damage suffered to the selected painting. Insurance coverage is the full responsibility of the entrant (transit and in-situ) and is recommended by the Gallery. Paintings will not be insured by the Gallery.
- Each entrant specifically permits and authorises the Gallery to reproduce the selected painting (in full or detail) via print or electronic media for publicity, reports, catalogues and any other publications related to the exhibition. The Gallery reserves the right to reproduce acquired works in the subsequent promotion of the prize, the Gallery and its collection. Acknowledgment of authorship will be duly made. Copyright permission will be sought should the Gallery receive an external request (from an institution or publisher) for reproduction of an acquired work.
The judging panel shall solely determine the prize-winning painting for acquisition from the exhibition. The judging panel’s decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. The Gallery and the judging panel reserve the right not to award the prize.
- Geelong Gallery employees and volunteers, members of the Gallery Board, Geelong Gallery Foundation Board, Geelong Contemporary Committee, members of the Board of the Dimmick Charitable Trust, and members of their families are ineligible to enter the prize.
- The prize-winning painting will be announced at the opening of the exhibition on Friday 8 June and shall become the property of the Gallery upon payment of the prize money to the winning entrant.
- The exhibition closes on Sunday 19 August 2018. The Gallery will contact entrants in the week commencing Monday 30 July seeking confirmation of arrangements for the collection of exhibited works. It is the responsibility of the entrant or dealer/agent to arrange all aspects relating to the collection of the work (whether personally or by an art courier). All associated costs are the responsibility of the entrant or dealer/agent.
Works can be collected from Tuesday 21 to Thursday 23 August between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm. Should collection outside these hours be required, the Gallery must be informed of this at the time confirmation of arrangements for the collection of exhibited works is sought and prior to Thursday 16 August (5.00 pm). Paintings that have been sold from the exhibition will not be released to purchasers without the written confirmation of the artist or dealer/agent being supplied to the Gallery.
- There are no refunds for this competition.